Book Discussion #1 – Naked in Death

Posted In: J.D. Robb Book Discussion
  • AJ on: June 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm #1099

So, I thought what I would do is start discussion threads for the books one by one starting with “Naked in Death.”

You can really discuss anything about the book, but here’s a question to start things off:

In “Naked…” Roarke breaks into Eve’s apartment. Did he cross a line?  

pwazz1 on: June 10, 2017 at 3:48 pm #1202

Obviously, in his mind, no lines were crossed. He owns the building and he wanted to see Eve. To Eve? Roarke will definitely require some getting used to!

AJ on: June 10, 2017 at 4:31 pm #1205
    pwazz1 wrote:
    Obviously,  in his mind, no lines were crossed. He owns the building and he wanted to see Eve. To Eve? Roarke will definitely require some getting used to!

She was way more cool with it than I would have been.

Also, at the time the books were written, that kind of alpha-male type of behavior was more common in novels. Not so much anymore. I do wonder how Nora would have handled it had she written it today.

Diane on: June 10, 2017 at 8:18 pm #1208

I felt that Roarke had crossed a line – very presumptuous of him to think that Eve was okay with him doing a B & E!

ElectricOutcast on: June 11, 2017 at 1:28 am #1214
    AJ wrote:
    pwazz1 wrote:
    Obviously,  in his mind, no lines were crossed. He owns the building and he wanted to see Eve. To Eve? Roarke will definitely require some getting used to!

She was way more cool with it than I would have been.

Also, at the time the books were written, that kind of alpha-male type of behavior was more common in novels. Not so much anymore. I do wonder how Nora would have handled it had she written it today.

If Nora ever runs another Facebook live, have either you or me ask her that. Hell there’s a good question, I wonder if she’d ever consider doing up-to-date versions of the first ten books at least. Update the content with the existing technology, while at the same time fixing the YANNI’s in the past novels.

Personally, yeah he did screw up by breaking into Eve’s apartment without permission, he should’ve at least told the front desk that he was interested in seeing her. But that’s how I would’ve handled it at least.

Carole on: June 11, 2017 at 2:43 pm #1220

I think it has more to do with Roarke as he was at the time.  We all know how much Eve has changed, but Roarke has changed also.  As Eve says, “I married a bloody criminal.”  Roarke didn’t think twice about that kind of thing before Eve.

AJ on: June 11, 2017 at 4:26 pm #1222
    Carole wrote:
    I think it has more to do with Roarke as he was at the time.  We all know how much Eve has changed, but Roarke has changed also.  As Eve says, “I married a bloody criminal.”  Roarke didn’t think twice about that kind of thing before Eve.

That’s a good point. He didn’t seem very good with other people’s personal boundaries at that point, and yes, a lot of that can be attributed to his upbringing and his career as a criminal. Of course, Eve schooled him on that pretty quick.

AJ

IDFAN on: June 12, 2017 at 2:08 am #1224

It definitely was reflective of both the times and the character of Roarke when we met him. I don’t think Nora will ever do a rewrite – why bother? – but I do think she would handle it differently if she wrote it today. Roarke was pretty hard to take in the first few books. Eve wasn’t all that easy to take either. Oh, and Summerset was a complete jerk. I didn’t start with Naked in Death and I wonder if I would have been drawn into the series if I had. I started with the second half of Remember When and both Eve and Roarke had mellowed considerably by then. Going back to read how they began I was more forgiving, as I was already hooked.

ElectricOutcast on: June 14, 2017 at 7:05 pm #1240
    IDFAN wrote:
    It definitely was reflective of both the times and the character of Roarke when we met him. I don’t think Nora will ever do a rewrite – why bother? – but I do think she would handle it differently if she wrote it today. Roarke was pretty hard to take in the first few books. Eve wasn’t all that easy to take either. Oh, and Summerset was a complete jerk. I didn’t start with Naked in Death and I wonder if I would have been drawn into the series if I had. I started with the second half of Remember When and both Eve and Roarke had mellowed considerably by then. Going back to read how they began I was more forgiving, as I was already hooked.

Well in terms of a complete re-write, I wasn’t exactly asking for one, my mind was basically going to how Stephen King did some edits and added more content to his first Dark Tower book. If something similar were to happen, maybe add more context to the night before the DeBlass case happened and what have you.

I’ve been thinking of buying my own copies of the first three books before Secrets comes out just so I can focus on the Eve and Roarke scenes and look at Larinda Mars’ role in Glory.

AJ on: June 15, 2017 at 8:29 pm #1243

Okay, here’s another question. I think it was made pretty clear from the start that Roarke was not the killer. Should that have been made less obvious? Would that have made the whole story more suspenseful? Or was it better that Roarke was cleared right away?

Diane on: June 15, 2017 at 9:40 pm #1244

Good question AJ. The not knowing always intrigues me, but I didn’t start the series with Naked.

AJ on: June 16, 2017 at 1:30 am #1245

I always thought it would have made it a bit more suspenseful, and that if they ever did a movie they should play that up a bit, BUT… at the heart of it is also a romance and a story about two people finding each other, so, I do understand why Nora wrote it the way she did.

Carole on: June 16, 2017 at 4:25 pm #1249

I never thought of Roarke as a serious suspect.  I actually find it a clumsy way for Eve to meet him.  I would have preferred that he be involved somehow in the investigation, as he is in later books, and then make him a suspect in a later murder, when it would be harder on Eve.

We’ve noted the similarities between InDeath and Castle.  Remember he wasn’t really a suspect in the murders staged as in his books, but it wasn’t until Season Five when he’s seriously framed for murder, when Beckett has to weigh the very real evidence against what she knows of the man.  I think I would have liked to see Roarke and Eve that way too.

ElectricOutcast on: June 16, 2017 at 9:05 pm #1253
    AJ wrote:
    Okay, here’s another question. I think it was made pretty clear from the start that Roarke was not the killer. Should that have been made less obvious? Would that have made the whole story more suspenseful? Or was it better that Roarke was cleared right away?

You know what I think would’ve been interesting to see, that Senator DeBlass go on an anti-Roarke tirade about how Roarke was the one that killed Sharon. Probably would’ve made him more guilty for barking but I think it would’ve made for some interesting consequences.

AJ on: June 17, 2017 at 12:48 am #1256
    ElectricOutcast wrote:
    AJ wrote:

You know what I think would’ve been interesting to see, that Senator DeBlass go on an anti-Roarke tirade about how Roarke was the one that killed Sharon. Probably would’ve made him more guilty for barking but I think it would’ve made for some interesting consequences.

He pretty much did. He didn’t out and out accuse Roarke, but he did tell Eve that he knew she had been seeing Roarke and that “money buys immunity” so, I’m not sure how having him go on even more of a tirade would have changed the story significantly.

AJ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar