Lack of proper discourse

Posted In: Off Topic Discussions
  • ElectricOutcast on: March 5, 2018 at 5:14 pm #2295

So in light of a recent incident that happened at Fall Into The Story (and for those that don’t know you can read it over here:

I figured what better time than now to talk about the state of intellectual discourse in the world of entertainment in general.

Recently a guy I follow on YouTube posted his review of Black Panther and had a few nitpicks about the movie (for the record I don’t plan to watch the film) and also addressed that we’re reaching a point where apparently we can’t make a criticism about it, no matter how pragmatic it is and had plans to make a video about it.

A more personal example I can give is how I couldn’t support a song that Garth Brooks released in 2016 because I didn’t like how it sounded and I gotten criticized for taking music too seriously (because I don’t think rap and disco should mix in with Country Music and Garth’s song fell into that trap.) I also will admit that I came off immature when I resorted to telling everyone attacking my opinion to kiss my ass.

Same thing happened when I watched the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie, I liked that movie, I thought it held up with the original 1995 film and I kept telling haters that if they had a problem with me liking that film they can kiss my ass.

I do admit that I’m not good at practicing proper discourse, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not willing to have a intelligent conversation with someone who hates something that I might like. The problem is that people are not willing have that conversation, same thing with more serious stuff like politics, people are not willing to have intelligent conversations anymore, we just rather do a lot of name calling instead.

What do y’all think?

Quinlan73 on: March 6, 2018 at 4:13 pm #2296

Jeez. Anyone want to point out that this type of behavior online is exactly what the killer in Dark in Death would do? That should be a clue in itself that this kind of behavior Is. Not. Okay. Sadly, online culture has a festering weed of “The universe exists for me and everyone else is an idiot.” syndrome. I commend Nora for her response, even though she’s right and some will take her comments as a direct attack. She still had to say them.

ElectricOutcast on: March 8, 2018 at 1:44 am #2297

On a more lighter note, I think Nora left a reply to my comment on the blog post.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar