Leverage in Death- Sept 2018

Posted In: J.D. Robb Spoiler Forum
  • ElectricOutcast on: September 10, 2018 at 5:25 pm #2480

Well if I can change the subject, I thought in the early books, Mavis had to use a machine to improve her voice. I don’t think it was implied that she had a bad singing voice but that it needed improvement.

Betsy Harvey Rogers on: September 10, 2018 at 7:35 pm #2481

Well if I can change the subject, I thought in the early books, Mavis had to use a machine to improve her voice. I don’t think it was implied that she had a bad singing voice but that it needed improvement.

From the comments in this book on the performance and the dialogue around when you’re talking about, I also thought she was “untrained” and chose weird music to garner attention / showcase her talents. But like any muscle, working out her voice would make it stronger and more versatile. Now she’s on her game, as it were. Or at least, that’s how I read the performance scene.

ElectricOutcast on: September 10, 2018 at 8:18 pm #2482

Well either way, I know that her song had a different title but I had this visual of her singing this one:   https://youtu.be/HT7-e4AlAx0

AJ on: September 11, 2018 at 1:03 am #2483

First of all, welcome back, Birdwoman! (@betsy-harvey-rogers)

Finished this a few days ago, and not sure how I feel about it. I felt like it was very slow starting, and while it picked up about halfway through for me, I found myself getting distracted more easily with this book than with some others.

Peabody being annoying: I guess…I love Peabody, so, I’m not really noticing the annoying things she’s doing as much as others might. Booster/Expresso scene: Again, weird. And why? I didn’t understand it. I’m sure Nora had a reason for writing it the way she did, but I’m just not seeing why it had to be there.

Mavis’ singing: I think I’m of the same opinion as Betsy in that, I think she did the weird stuff to begin with for the shock value, but it’s possible that after she got her recording contract, she worked with a professional to improve her voice.

The fight/sex scene: Yeah. That was weird. I feel like there was a thought process with this that kind of went, “Eve and Roarke’s relationship is going too well, and they are too happy all the time, so I need to come up with a fight they can have to add some tension. Then after that, they can have some make-up sex.” (Note: I am NOT implying that this is actually what Nora was thinking…only that this is what it seemed like to me.) I felt the way the fight was done was weird, and the sex afterward seemed even weirder. Roarke got pissed really quickly, which seemed off for him. None of it seemed to evolve naturally, and was never really resolved.

Overall, not one of my favorites, unfortunately.

ElectricOutcast on: September 11, 2018 at 1:50 am #2484

Sad thing is, I think because of that nightmare Eve had, this is probably either going to be one conflict that will never be revisited again or never be resolved and just put in the back burner.

In my experience, I didn’t try to get distracted but a lot of stuff was happening around me to where I had to pause the book on my phone multiple times. But I will agree that this book was definitely a slow burn.

ElectricOutcast on: September 14, 2018 at 12:14 am #2487

I did try to ask the fallintothestory blog about the Eve/Roarke conflict and I don’t know if you seen it, but I think Nora may have given me the dodge. But either way, I personally don’t see the point of fretting over it. If it gets revisited, then it gets revisited. And if it don’t, then it don’t.

Though I do think that I may have hurt her feelings over Peabody.

Delia McNab on: September 14, 2018 at 9:30 pm #2489

I don’t think it’s you specifically as your comment was constructive. I think she’s tired of the more aggressive push back she’s gotten lately and maybe tried to head this one off before it became more of a thing.

ElectricOutcast on: September 15, 2018 at 1:52 am #2490

And another reason why I think we’re having a huge lack of adult disagreements and debates. Everyone wants to be in a shouting match these days.

AJ on: September 15, 2018 at 6:10 am #2491

Nora has never been great with “pushback” of any kind, aggressive or not. On the one hand, I can’t blame her… I’m sure it’s not easy to hear negative comments on essentially a piece of art that you put so much of yourself into. On the other hand, she does know that not all of her books will be received well by everyone.

It’s only natural that some people are going to disagree with the way she writes something as much as others agree. BUT, to be honest, Fall Into the Story is probably not the best place for disagreement. It’s one thing to come here and say, “I don’t like how Nora wrote this” and then we can all discuss it as fans, but it’s quite another to go to essentially her own website and say “I don’t like the way you wrote this.” My advice would be that in the future, if anyone is inclined to disagree with something Nora wrote, I’d do that here, and leave your positive feedback on Fall Into the Story.

Catherine on: September 15, 2018 at 11:15 pm #2492

Hi, in June after a chat about libraries and digital media I decided to check it out. I read a few books on my tablet before coming across Echoes in Death. After reading it I wanted to know more about what happened to Eve that gave her nightmares. I got my husband to take out the first two books from the library since they didn’t have digital copies. After reading those I was hooked. I found and read all the books in the series. A few days before Leverage came out I finished them. I missed Eve and Roarke lol. I tried to convince myself that even if I read the new book I would still end up missing them but I caved and bought the hardcover.

I really found the In Death wikia helpful. I used it to read the books in the right order and to look up characters or things I forgot. Now I’m helping to update it. It’s giving me something to do that is Eve related. Thanks AJ and anyone else that has helped.

I’m not sure how I felt about Leverage. I liked it but knew it was the last one for a while.

About the fight I wasn’t too concerned. In an earlier book I thought they had worse. I think Eve slept on her sleep chair after that fight. I had already read Echoes so knew they stayed together lol.

I didn’t care for the Peabody booster scene. Eve had taken boosters and drank coffee and didn’t react anything like that. It even saved her once.

I hope Nora has a nice thick skin.

ElectricOutcast on: September 16, 2018 at 2:25 am #2493

About the fight I wasn’t too concerned. In an earlier book I thought they had worse. I think Eve slept on her sleep chair after that fight. I had already read Echoes so knew they stayed together lol.

I don’t know about the Sleep Chair, but I do know that Divided in Death is a perfect example of them being at their lowest as a married couple. Hell now that I mention it, I’m surprised that they didn’t rehash that particular argument during this book.

AJ on: September 18, 2018 at 1:42 am #2494

Catherine,

Hey! You’ve been my recent Wiki editor! That’s awesome! Thanks so much for your help! I’m always glad to have help with the Wiki!

I’m always kind of jealous when I hear someone talking about discovering this series for the first time and how they burn through the books with such pleasure! It reminds me of how I felt when I first discovered the series! I’m so glad when more people continue to discover the books.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/ajryhjox/jdrobbfans.com/wp-content/plugins/activity-reactions-for-buddypress/class/class.php on line 1082
Skip to toolbar