Most controversial book in the series.

Posted In: J.D. Robb Book Discussion
  • ElectricOutcast on: November 20, 2018 at 10:50 pm #2578

So on the J.D. Robb Facebook page, they’ve been talking about Conspiracy in Death and they brought up the scene, that in my opinion, made it the most controversial book in the entire series. Now personally, I do consider it very controversial, because there is an undeniable divide on whether Whitney and Tibble were in the wrong to take Eve’s badge away, and some people like myself didn’t agree with it and as a result it has left some pretty divided opinions from some fans.

But aside from that, I think the second most controversial book in the series would have to go to Brotherhood. I remember how some of you HATED that book and I personally thought it was a great throwback to what made the series in the first place. Now I do understand that many of you didn’t agree with how the original rape victims were treated at the end of the book and there were some Eve/Roarke moments that left y’all with a bad taste in your mouths, but the fact remains those ladies handled things the wrong way, especially considering Eve’s rep. I think had they’d come to her instead of taking matters into their own hands, things would’ve been considerably different.

Those are my two picks, any of you got picks of your own, feel free to share them. But let’s try and keep the conversation at an adult level please?

Palomira on: November 25, 2018 at 2:48 am #2579

Both Conspiracy and Brotherhood were difficult to read as the stories were really dark, had painful themes/plots, and stirred considerable controversy. They were definitely on my “Difficult to Reread” list. In fact I skipped over Conspiracy a time or two so that I would not have to revisit what I considered the politically safe road taken by Eve’s superiors. I thought it was a “cop” out. It took me a while to overlook the angst as those threads were deepening the relationship of Eve and Roarke, plus the increase of Mira’s role in both their lives wouldn’t fit as well without the loss of her badge. Considering what’s happening with the #metoo phenomenon, the storyline of Brotherhood is, as is usual for JDR, right on the money. It was hard to get through the raw cruelty of the case. But it was true to the personalities of our hreos. Yes, the “victims” Eve was forced to represent made “pond scum” look like daisy rings, but read the banner in the bull pen!! My reread and relisten have brought this story to a new level in my list of rereads. Consider how those women would have been treated by Eve had she been able to work with them as she did with (spoiler) “the doctors wife” in Echoes. Another read worthy of controversy in my opinion is Divided:

Much reading time and several threads ago some of us had long and often heated discussions creating controversy over Divided In Death. The actions of Homeland are revisited in many of the books that followed, but the controversy over Roarke’s lack of reprisal was a hot topic during that time. There was a faction of readers who felt he emasculated himself or didn’t stay true to his roots as what we now call “Scary Roarke”. It was another painful one to reread and was overlooked for a short time. I’m sure that there are a few others worthy of controversy. I’ll think of another one shortly.

Betsy Harvey Rogers on: December 8, 2018 at 9:53 pm #2582

I find that I cannot stomach much of New York to Dallas anymore. It’s too visceral for me, especially with the child.

ElectricOutcast on: December 9, 2018 at 2:53 am #2584

I find that I cannot stomach much of New York to Dallas anymore. It’s too visceral for me, especially with the child.

Yeah to tell you the truth, I don’t even read that one, same way with Kindred and Fantasy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/ajryhjox/jdrobbfans.com/wp-content/plugins/activity-reactions-for-buddypress/class/class.php on line 1082
Skip to toolbar