Random Questions About the Books

Posted In: J.D. Robb Book Discussion
  • Debbi on: July 24, 2017 at 12:10 am #1132

Where is the chicken stick?  Is it on the door, like a current day handle?  Is it sticking up from the floor on the passenger side?  Where do you think it is?

“People are stupid more than half the time.” - J. D. Robb Memory In Death (Feeney to Eve)

maraeve358 on: July 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm #1353

It’s a grab bar on the passenger side dash, like early Corvettes had.

ElectricOutcast on: July 27, 2017 at 9:48 pm #1362

Here’s my question: at the old forum with the thread about songs for Eve/Roarke, I brought up Bruce Springsteen’s Human Touch and one of you said it would fit well with another singer, I don’t know if that singer was a character in the books or what. I can’t remember who that was though.

Debbi on: December 19, 2017 at 7:25 pm #2172

Does it seem odd to any of you that Eve apparently never did a run on Summerset before Immortal?  Seems to me that she would have done that immediately or at least before she moved it, and would, therefore, have known his full name.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Debbi.

“People are stupid more than half the time.” - J. D. Robb Memory In Death (Feeney to Eve)

wont on: December 21, 2017 at 12:53 am #2174

Yes and no. Did she habitually do this? She seemed to have never heard of Roarke before Feeney  found his name in Sharon Declass’s address book and mentioned how rich he was. Even then, it seemed she only ran him in connection with the case.

With the level of animosity Summerset had for Eve, I always wondered if he had used Roarke’s unregistered and ran her. It would seemed to have fit with his mistrust of her to do this, and he could have used the excuse of trying to protect Roarke. Stepping in to prevent a huge mistake, thinking Roarke was blinded by love. Also, I know Roarke seemed hesitant to run Eve’s background, especially on the time in Dallas, but I find it very hard to believe he had not looked into her. I mean, he was in a serious relationship. The most serious of his life. He was planning on marrying her. During ‘Glory’ when they had several serious relationship bumps, he had to have some doubts. Not about his true feelings, but he was still getting to know her. With his history, I just can’t believe he would take everything at face value. He had wheeled and dealed all his life. He had an unregistered unit for a reason. I just can’t believe he walked blindly into a marriage without knowing the background of the woman soon to be his wife!

When Moira O’Bannion presented him with the picture of himself and his mother and the story to go with it, he dug deeply into her background. He verified everything. Going into marriage would he just take Eve’s word? I don’t think so.

Debbi on: January 16, 2018 at 10:09 pm #2221

Under the category of things that make you go hmmm….

In Innocent:

1. Magdalena left Roarke high and dry and eloped with the mark.  But… she outlasted the terms of the prenup.  So did she plan to elope long enough before to have the prenup written up, read, and signed (she surely wouldn’t have signed it unread like Eve did) or did he just happen to have it already drawn up?

2.  Roarke was upset about it and just let it go…theoretically never giving it another thought.  If that was the case, when and why would he have cleaned up her data so that her records are all clean and shiny?  After she eloped?

wont on: January 17, 2018 at 12:13 am #2222

This is my take.

1. Even though it stated Magdalena eloped with the mark, that doesn’t mean they got married the same day they left. Or the next. She left with him, certainly intending to marry him, and I’m thinking the ceremony didn’t happen until he was able to have a prenup written and signed. That could have happened a few days later. He was very rich. His attorneys, of whom I’m sure he had several ready at all times, for any manner of things, would have worked around the clock to get the prenup prepared. Magdalena knew what she was getting, so she just kept him entertained and signed that paper when it was ready. She wanted the lifestyle he could offer and I’m sure that part of the deal began as soon as they left together. IMO.
    2. They were together for a year or more. I’m sure he cleaned up her data during that time, not later. He was enthralled with her. But, not so much that he cleared her record and destroyed that information. He saved it. I think, though he really enjoyed being with her, NOT loved, but enjoyed, he didn’t trust her. Even then. When he was telling Eve everything, his thoughts  mentioned something like this. The flaw he recognized as being there. There’s no telling what all he could have done for her during that time.

On the flip side, he, IMO, trusted Eve from the very beginning. When she came to his    house that first time, before they slept together, he took her into his private office. I always thought that was a huge leap of faith for him to show her that room. He had just met her, and she was a cop!! So, from the very start, his relationship with Eve was different. I still hope at some point Nora will give us a few glimpses of Summerset’s POV during this time. I would love to know how appalled he was at the growing relationship of Roarke with Eve. And, especially would like to know his thoughts when Roarke told him they were getting married! LOL!

ElectricOutcast on: January 17, 2018 at 12:18 am #2223

Here’s my Innocent question: I know in the book, Eve punched Roarke for “being a guy.” But I’ve always believed that there may have been a different reason that Eve just never said outright. Like maybe she punched him for not calling so that way they could deal with Magdalena like a team.

Does anyone else think that? Because that scene is one of the reasons why I never liked that book.

wont on: January 17, 2018 at 12:31 am #2224

I don’t think that’s why she punched him. I always thought it was to pay back for what he put her through after Magdalena came back. I know he didn’t intend to put her through anything, but, as was stated, he still had his blinders on regarding Magdalena. And, he managed for a time to blame Eve (and Summerset) instead of himself.

BTW, this is still my favorite ID book. Something about Roarke’s desperation, thinking Eve had left him, I liked it. He had been so in control of the women in his life for so long, he rode such a huge wave of success, with everything, that he was feeling helpless really appealed to me. I don’t know if even now, Eve realizes the power she has over him.

ElectricOutcast on: January 17, 2018 at 12:47 am #2225

Secrets in Death: Right when things were coming out about Summerset and Patrick Roarke and Roarke figuring out who killed who. In a way I’m glad that there wasn’t a big fight that brewed between Eve and Roarke on why she never told him anything, I always thought she had a fear of losing him if she did say anything.

Like for example, if the Irish cops ever figured it out and wanted to have Summerset and Roarke extradited or maybe Eve would’ve been charged by the NYPSD for Conspiracy after the Fact.

I talked with Emza (Zeljaku_Hato) awhile back about that, but she said that because Roarke and Summerset live in the states the Irish cops can’t do anything.

What do y’all think about that?

wont on: January 17, 2018 at 1:12 am #2226

I don’t think Eve was ever in danger of losing Roarke, especially concerning his father’s murder. I thought she didn’t tell him because she felt it was Summerset’s story to tell. She was honoring a confidence. Which, surprised Summerset when Roarke told him Eve had not revealed anything.

As for the Irish police, all they have would be rumor. How could they bring a case? They wouldn’t have any evidence to use as basis for extradition. And, it would be for Summerset, not Roarke. I don’t know the agreement between Ireland and the United States on extradition. If they had evidence to support the case…maybe. But, you can bet Roarke would have a fleet of top notch attorneys who would fight for years on Summerset’s behalf. Additionally, you would have to have an Irish prosecutor who wanted to pursue the case. I wouldn’t bet on that either.

Debbi on: January 17, 2018 at 2:35 am #2227

On the flip side, he, IMO, trusted Eve from the very beginning. When she came to his house that first time, before they slept together, he took her into his private office. I always thought that was a huge leap of faith for him to show her that room. He had just met her, and she was a cop!! So, from the very start, his relationship with Eve was different. I still hope at some point Nora will give us a few glimpses of Summerset’s POV during this time. I would love to know how appalled he was at the growing relationship of Roarke with Eve. And, especially would like to know his thoughts when Roarke told him they were getting married! LOL!

All good points, wont.  I assume you mean the weapons room, not his private office.  That didn’t happen until after they started “having a romance.”

wont on: January 17, 2018 at 3:14 am #2228

LOL! You are right. I will lean on the feeble excuse of not having read Naked for some time for the reason for confusing those rooms. Even though they did sleep together that time he did revealed his private office, I still thought that was significant he let her in even that much. Everything about that office was illegal. I’m not sure if it was arrogance on his part that he felt nothing could touch him, or he just had trusting vibes from Eve. This is pure conjecture, but I wonder if he would have taken Magdalena into the private office? They both were criminals in tandem for the entirety of their time together. Would he have allowed her to know of that room? Of course, he was personally worlds away from where he was when he was with her before.

One more thought. And I hate this. If Roarke had not been with Eve, had never met her, when Magdalena returned, do you thing he would have slept with her? Resumed a relationship with her. Not criminally, but personally? I think not, but, it may have been more difficult for him to refuse her.

ElectricOutcast on: January 19, 2018 at 12:02 am #2229

So I’m in the middle of writing a chapter for my Ghost in the Shell/In Death crossover and I got a Conspiracy question to ask:

I didn’t make Eve resign per se, I instead wrote in that she would be taking a leave of absence from the NYPSD.  Even though they were looking at her for a murder they knew she didn’t commit, would she have the legal right to resign or take a leave of absence and go work someplace else?

ElectricOutcast on: March 9, 2018 at 4:09 am #2298

Betrayal question: I’m kinda surprised that after Eve found out about Roarke letting Mick go, she didn’t resort to hitting him or slapping him in the face for it. And for the record, I think spouses being hit is wrong on both genders, which is probably why I never enjoyed Innocence and I wouldn’t have enjoyed Betrayal if that scene happened. But I always wondered why Eve didn’t resort to using cheap shots like slapping Roarke in the face after letting Mick go?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar