Secrets in Death

Posted In: J.D. Robb Spoiler Forum
  • AJ on: June 7, 2017 at 4:23 am #1082

[attachment=1]

From Amazon.com:

Quote:
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]The chic Manhattan nightspot Du Vin is not the kind of place Eve Dallas would usually patronize, and it’s not the kind of bar where a lot of blood gets spilled. But that’s exactly what happens one cold February evening.
    [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]The mortally wounded woman is Larinda Mars, a self-described “social information reporter,” or as most people would call it, a professional gossip. As it turns out, she was keeping the most shocking stories quiet, for profitable use in her side business as a blackmailer. Setting her sights on rich, prominent marks, she’d find out what they most wanted to keep hidden and then bleed them dry. Now someone’s done the same to her, literally—with a knife to the brachial artery.
    [/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Eve didn’t like Larinda Mars. But she likes murder even less. To find justice for this victim, she’ll have to plunge into the dirty little secrets of all the people Larinda Mars victimized herself. But along the way, she may be exposed to some information she really didn’t want to know…[/font]
    ElectricOutcast on: June 10, 2017 at 9:40 pm #1209

I think there was supposed to be a sneak preview of Chapter 1 this week if I’m not mistaken, right?

Debbi on: July 3, 2017 at 1:25 am #1311

You are right, EO! Just posted – http://fallintothestory.com/secrets-in-death-excerpt/

“People are stupid more than half the time.” - J. D. Robb Memory In Death (Feeney to Eve)

ElectricOutcast on: July 3, 2017 at 1:29 am #1312
    Debbi wrote:

And how dumb was the antagonist to create a murder victim right in front of a cop (or at least within an ear shot)

Debbi on: July 3, 2017 at 3:04 am #1315

Well, there was no one standing there with a dripping knife (and Eve did comment that she didn’t like how high the booths were because she couldn’t see), so maybe not so dumb?

“People are stupid more than half the time.” - J. D. Robb Memory In Death (Feeney to Eve)

ElectricOutcast on: July 4, 2017 at 3:03 am #1318

On another note: I think the conversation between DeWinter and Eve might play a source of conflict between Eve and Morris. From what I remember prior to Promises, Eve wasn’t exactly warm to Coltrane and Peabody was pretty much blunt over what I thought was pretty childish jealousy.

And I say childish because Morris is a grown adult, about 10 years older than the primary In Death cast (and younger than Whitney, Feeney, Sommerset and Tibble) and yet he had to deal with people giving him crap over who he chose to date and fall in love with, are you kidding me?

ElectricOutcast on: August 28, 2017 at 4:27 pm #1434

Mini spoilers time: After Eve contemplates small humans in smaller spaces, she ponders the puzzle of human conversation recorded for entertainment.

I don’t know what’s more confusing: the small spaces or casually recording random humans?

wont on: September 5, 2017 at 7:54 pm #1447

Finally! Confirmation!!

Roarke wears boxers!!

ElectricOutcast on: September 6, 2017 at 12:36 am #1448

I gotta confess something: for a brief moment, I thought that we were all wrong and that maybe Summerset was the actual killer instead of Bill Hyatt. Mostly because of how his methods were similar to how Summerset killed Patrick Roarke. In a way, I’m glad that it wasn’t the case because that would’ve really shaken things up and unnecessarily so.

I am however actually pretty impressed with how the blackmail victims were treated in the book. Obviously a couple of them did some bad stuff but not one of the victims had killed in the past, not even with that lady from St. Louis.

Gonna be interesting with how Dark in Death might play out now that Peabody and McNab will be on vacation (I hope that it will be just Eve and Roarke solo, because personally I could use a break from those two.)

greycoupon on: September 7, 2017 at 1:19 am #1411

I guess the site has done away with the “spoiler” threads for each new book. Right? I’m going to start my second readthrough. Really went through fast yesterday. Want to savor it. Each book has an atmosphere, and this one, while having some really serious plot lines, had a lighter atmosphere than some recent ones.

Debbi on: September 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm #1458

I’m really surprised there’s so little chatter here.

I liked the book but I didn’t love it.
    I really liked the way Eve and Roarke are sharing more intimate details of their situations growing up.
    I’m glad Roarke finally knows who killed Patrick Roarke
    I’m glad we know the circumstances behind Patrick Roarke’s murder (and not just “I had children to protect”)
    I liked there was very little of Mavis and Co in the book
    It seemed odd that she spent more investigative time with Roarke than with Peabody (but that’s kind of ok)
    I really disliked the number of rape/child abuse victims. Aren’t there any other heinous crimes people in 2061 commit?
    Purple boots! I want some, but I’m not spending $6000 (or $600) a pair
    I prefer NR’s newer preference to write about intimacy rather than just sex

ETA – I had a momentary panic when I thought MagdaBitch might be involved. It was fun to see that she really does get tossed out of his properties.

I’m sure I have more thoughts, but that’s what I’ve got right now

elvan on: September 7, 2017 at 6:55 pm #1461

I just finished, and I’m left feeling rather puzzled.

1) It seemed like a lot of the book was devoted to finding out about Larinda Mars’ past life/true identity, and then it turns out her past life had nothing to do with her murder. I was expecting to find out that Larinda Mars had killed her grandmother for the inheritence, but I guess not. 

2) Why on earth did Bill Hyatt kill Kelley?? It seemed like a particularly boneheaded move for someone who planned and executed a murder so carefully. By doing so, he cemented what had been only a vague theory that Larinda Mars’ murder was specifically connected to Annie Knight. And if Kelley didn’t realize that the swipes had been switched, why kill her? Her murder meant that police would be looking closely at her movements, which would almost guarantee that they would realize that her movements didn’t match up with the records of her swipes. Eve may not have made that connection if Bill hadn’t killed Kelley.

ElectricOutcast on: September 8, 2017 at 12:33 am #1465
    wanner47 wrote:

1) It seemed like a lot of the book was devoted to finding out about Larinda Mars’ past life/true identity, and then it turns out her past life had nothing to do with her murder. I was expecting to find out that Larinda Mars had killed her grandmother for the inheritence, but I guess not. 

2) Why on earth did Bill Hyatt kill Kelley?? It seemed like a particularly boneheaded move for someone who planned and executed a murder so carefully. By doing so, he cemented what had been only a vague theory that Larinda Mars’ murder was specifically connected to Annie Knight. And if Kelley didn’t realize that the swipes had been switched, why kill her? Her murder meant that police would be looking closely at her movements, which would almost guarantee that they would realize that her movements didn’t match up with the records of her swipes. Eve may not have made that connection if Bill hadn’t killed Kelley.

What pissed me off the most was how cold blooded the last kill was, that guy didn’t show any remote mercy when he did it. Tell you one thing, I’d feel sorry for the mother who’d have to deal with the cold-blooded death of a child.

greycoupon on: September 8, 2017 at 8:13 pm #1467

A)

wanner47 wrote:

Commenting on wanner’s point #1: In many of the books in this series our clever Lt. Dallas spends a great deal of time investigating a subject who turns out to be totally innocent or unconnected to the crimes. This is sometimes called a “red herring” to which Eve would reply “Why red?” Much to some of our dislike! However, when we are presented with an obvious suspect, it’s possible for the herring to be the ripe one. Or not. Anyway, Nora sets it up for us and then we buy it or not. (I may be typing this in the wrong place as I still can’t be sure what I’m doing in this new format.)

ElectricOutcast on: September 14, 2017 at 10:04 pm #1488

If I can post my point on how I kinda understood the rushed ending, when he first got introduced, he was basically a rabid guard dog who was close to breaking his masters leash and too bad on Eve for not catching that short leash sooner until the second victim got killed. Hell I’m surprised that Bill didn’t attempt to move past Roarke to make a try at attacking Eve again because he struck me as someone who had the potential balls to do it. I guarantee you that had he done it, Eve probably would’ve had to stun him (not fatally of course).

So that’s the point I’m making, that guy was just too rabid like a dog who didn’t want to stop barking, he didn’t even have the patience to wait for his lawyer to shut him up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar