What book(s) are you currently reading?

Posted In: The Book Club
  • Debbi on: November 14, 2017 at 2:29 pm #1560

Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive #3) by Brandon Sanderson was released this morning.  Can’t wait to jump in!

[font=Arial, sans-serif]In Oathbringer, the third volume of the New York Times bestselling Stormlight Archive, humanity faces a new Desolation with the return of the Voidbringers, a foe with numbers as great as their thirst for vengeance.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Dalinar Kholin’s Alethi armies won a fleeting victory at a terrible cost: The enemy Parshendi summoned the violent Everstorm, which now sweeps the world with destruction, and in its passing awakens the once peaceful and subservient parshmen to the horror of their millennia-long enslavement by humans. While on a desperate flight to warn his family of the threat, Kaladin Stormblessed must come to grips with the fact that the newly kindled anger of the parshmen may be wholly justified.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Nestled in the mountains high above the storms, in the tower city of Urithiru, Shallan Davar investigates the wonders of the ancient stronghold of the Knights Radiant and unearths dark secrets lurking in its depths. And Dalinar realizes that his holy mission to unite his homeland of Alethkar was too narrow in scope. Unless all the nations of Roshar can put aside Dalinar’s blood-soaked past and stand together―and unless Dalinar himself can confront that past―even the restoration of the Knights Radiant will not prevent the end of civilization.[/font]

“People are stupid more than half the time.” - J. D. Robb Memory In Death (Feeney to Eve)

Diane on: November 17, 2017 at 1:28 am #1561

Secrets in Death by JD Robb

The chic Manhattan nightspot Du Vin is not the kind of place Eve Dallas would usually patronize, and it’s not the kind of bar where a lot of blood gets spilled. But that’s exactly what happens one cold February evening.

The mortally wounded woman is Larinda Mars, a self-described “social information reporter,” or as most people would call it, a professional gossip. As it turns out, she was keeping the most shocking stories quiet, for profitable use in her side business as a blackmailer. Setting her sights on rich, prominent marks, she’d find out what they most wanted to keep hidden and then bleed them dry. Now someone’s done the same to her, literally—with a knife to the brachial artery.

Eve didn’t like Larinda Mars. But she likes murder even less. To find justice for this victim, she’ll have to plunge into the dirty little secrets of all the people Larinda Mars victimized herself. But along the way, she may be exposed to some information she really didn’t want to know…

Diane on: November 21, 2017 at 8:50 pm #1563

I’ve Got A Secret by Tess Gerritsen (#12 in Rizzoli and Isles)

The crime scene is unlike any that Detective Rizzoli and medical examiner Maura Isles have ever before encountered. The woman lies in apparently peaceful repose on her bed, and Maura finds no apparent cause of death, but there is no doubt the woman is indeed dead. The victim’s eyes have been removed and placed in the palm of her hand, a gesture that echoes the terrifying films she produces. Is a crazed movie fan reenacting scenes from those disturbing films?

When another victim is found, again with no apparent cause of death, again with a grotesquely staged crime scene, Jane and Maura realize the killer has widened his circle of targets. He’s chosen one particular woman for his next victim, and she knows he’s coming for her next. She’s the only one who can help Jane and Maura catch the killer.

But she knows a secret. And it’s a secret she’ll never tell.

Debbi on: November 22, 2017 at 2:04 pm #1565

That sounds interesting, Diane. I’ll have to check out that series.

“People are stupid more than half the time.” - J. D. Robb Memory In Death (Feeney to Eve)

Rabb on: November 23, 2017 at 12:47 am #1568

Finishing up “Festive in Death” then I am set to read the new Stephanie Plum book, “Hardcore Twenty-Four. “

Trouble comes in bunches for Stephanie Plum. First, professional grave robber and semi-professional loon, Simon Diggery, won’t let her take him in until she agrees to care for his boa constrictor, Ethel. Stephanie’s main qualification for babysitting an extremely large snake is that she owns a stun gun—whether that’s for use on the wandering serpent or the petrified neighbors remains to be seen.

Events take a dark turn when headless bodies start appearing across town. At first, it’s just corpses from a funeral home and the morgue that have had the heads removed. But when a homeless man is murdered and dumped behind a church Stephanie knows that she’s the only one with a prayer of catching this killer.

If all that’s not enough, Diesel’s back in town. The 6-foot-tall, blonde-haired hunk is a man who accepts no limits—that includes locked doors, closed windows and underwear. Trenton’s hottest cop, Joe Morelli isn’t pleased at this unexpected arrival nor is Ranger, the high-powered security consultant who has his own plans for Stephanie.

As usual Jersey’s favorite bounty hunter is stuck in the middle with more questions than answers. What’s the deal with Grandma Mazur’s latest online paramour? Who is behind the startling epidemic of mutilated corpses? And is the enigmatic Diesel’s sudden appearance a coincidence or the cause of recent deadly events?

Debbi on: November 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm #1576

I couldn’t decide what to read (too many choices) so I went with Glory in Death by J D Robb

Diane on: November 27, 2017 at 9:26 pm #1581

Fox Hunter by Zoe Sharp (#12 in the Charlie Fox Series)

In the latest novel in this energetic series, ex-special forces soldier Charlie Fox finds herself on a mission to the Iraqi countryside to track down a missing comrade-in-arms.

Special forces soldier-turned-bodyguard Charlotte “Charlie” Fox can never forget the men who put a brutal end to her military career, but a long time ago she vowed she would not go looking for them.

Now she doesn’t have a choice.

Her boss Sean Meyer is missing in Iraq, where one of those men was working as a private security contractor. When the man’s butchered body is discovered, Charlie fears that Sean may be pursuing a twisted vendetta on her behalf.

Charlie’s “close protection” agency in New York needs this dealt with—fast and quiet—before everything they’ve worked for goes to ruins. They send Charlie to the Middle East with very specific instructions: Find Sean Meyer and stop him—by whatever means necessary.

At one time Charlie thought she knew Sean better than she knew herself, but it seems he’s turned into a violent stranger. Always ruthless, is he really capable of such savage acts of slaughter?

As the trail grows ever more bloody, Charlie realizes that she is not the only one after Sean and, unless she can get to him first, the hunter may soon become the hunted.

Debbi on: November 28, 2017 at 2:08 pm #1583

Karolina’s Twins by Robert Balson

[font=Arial, sans-serif]She made a promise in desperation
    Now it’s time to keep it[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Lena Woodward, elegant and poised, has lived a comfortable life among Chicago Society since she immigrated to the US and began a new life at the end of World War II. But now something has resurfaced that Lena cannot ignore: an unfulfilled promise she made long ago that can no longer stay buried.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Driven to renew the quest that still keeps her awake at night, Lena enlists the help of lawyer Catherine Lockhart and private investigator Liam Taggart. Behind Lena’s stoic facade are memories that will no longer be contained. She begins to recount a tale, harkening back to her harrowing past in Nazi-occupied Poland, of the bond she shared with her childhood friend Karolina. Karolina was vivacious and beautiful, athletic and charismatic, and Lena has cherished the memory of their friendship her whole life. But there is something about the story that is unfinished, questions that must be answered about what is true and what is not, and what Lena is willing to risk to uncover the past. Has the real story been hidden these many years? And if so, why?[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Two girls, coming of age in a dangerous time, bearers of secrets that only they could share.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Just when you think there could not be anything new to ferret out from World War II comes Karolina’s Twins, a spellbinding new novel by the bestselling author of Once We Were Brothers and Saving Sophie. In this richly woven tale of love, survival and resilience during some of the darkest hours, the unbreakable bond between girlhood friends will have consequences into the future and beyond.[/font]

ElectricOutcast on: December 1, 2017 at 4:44 am #1587

This might be a shock to all of you, but I’ve actually been reading Conspiracy in Death these past few days for research purposes. But don’t get any ideas that I’m just going to like it all of a sudden, I’m just using it as reference for a new In Death fanfic I’m working on.

Diane on: December 1, 2017 at 10:35 am #1588

Dead Souls by Angela Marsons (Detective Inspector Kim Stone #6)

The truth was dead and buried…until now.
    When a collection of human bones is unearthed during a routine archaeological dig, a Black Country field suddenly becomes a complex crime scene for Detective Kim Stone.

As the bones are sorted, it becomes clear that the grave contains more than one victim. The bodies hint at unimaginable horror, bearing the markings of bullet holes and animal traps.

Forced to work alongside Detective Travis, with whom she shares a troubled past, Kim begins to uncover a dark secretive relationship between the families who own the land in which the bodies were found.

But while Kim is immersed in one of the most complicated investigations she’s ever led, her team are caught up in a spate of sickening hate crimes. Kim is close to revealing the truth behind the murders, yet soon finds one of her own is in jeopardy – and the clock is ticking. Can she solve the case and save them from grave danger – before it’s too late?

Debbi on: December 5, 2017 at 2:05 pm #1590

Year One by Nora Roberts

I’ve just started it and already I’m intrigued.  Sadly, I have to work today.

deidre.frieze on: December 9, 2017 at 9:52 pm #2100

Just finishing up a re read of Festive in Death.  I love that one.  🙂

ElectricOutcast on: December 13, 2017 at 6:28 pm #2160

Flash by Tim Tigner

TWO BLOOD-SPATTERED STRANGERS awake, locked in the trunk of a car–with a murdered cop and the smoking gun. Aside from raging headaches and no idea what’s happened, they appear to have nothing in common. Troy thinks it’s 2001 and he’s still a combat surgeon fighting terrorists in Afghanistan. Emmy believes it’s 2002 and she’s still grifting a living from the streets of L.A.

Are they archenemies or coconspirators? Lovers or friends? What are they doing in the Caribbean, and why is a Croatian assassin determined to kill them? The only thing they know for certain is that they’ll be spending the rest of their lives in prison if the police catch them before they learn the truth.

wont on: December 14, 2017 at 4:01 pm #2162

I’m reading Written in Red by Anne Bishop. This is a new author to me. I’ve read many positive reviews of her books, especially the series “The Others”, of which this book is the first one. I’m working on hanging in there. It’s a very strange world she’s created. I’m starting to like it, so I hope I can finish. I’m always struggling to add a new author to my fave list.

ElectricOutcast on: December 23, 2017 at 11:14 pm #2175

Caitlin Strong 9: Strong to the Bone

<i>1944:</i> Texas Ranger Earl Strong investigates a triple murder inside a Nazi POW camp in Texas.

<i>The Present:</i> His granddaughter, fifth generation Texas Ranger Caitlin Strong, finds herself pursuing the killer her father never caught in the most personal case of her career—a conspiracy stretching from that Nazi POW camp to a modern-day neo-Nazi gang.

A sinister movement has emerged from the shadows of history, determined to undermine the American way of life. Its leader, Armand Fisker, has an army at his disposal, a deadly bio-weapon, and a reputation for being unbeatable. But he’s never taken on the likes of Caitlin Strong and her outlaw lover, Cort Wesley Masters.

To prevent an unspeakable cataclysm, Caitlin and Cort Wesley must win a war the world thought was over.

Note: The Amazon blurb will tell you it’s her father Jim Strong, it’s not, it’s her grandfather.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar