Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you listening to? (Audiobooks)
With my preference being with Audiobooks and I figure I'd start by saying I bought the two new audiobooks from writer Larry D. Sweazy called:

See Also Murder and See Also Deception (Marjorie Trumaine)

See Also Murder:

1964—Life on the North Dakota farm hasn’t always been easy for Marjorie Trumaine. She has begun working as a professional indexer to help with the bills—which have only gotten worse since the accident that left her husband, Hank, blind and paralyzed. When her nearest neighbors are murdered in their beds, though, Marjorie suddenly has to deal with new and terrifying problems.

Sheriff Hilo Jenkins brings her a strange amulet, found clutched in the hand of her murdered neighbor, and asks her to quietly find out what it is. Marjorie uses all the skills she has developed as an indexer to research the amulet and look into the murders, but as she closes in on the killer, and people around her continue to die, she realizes that the murderer is also closing in on her.

See Also Deception:

In a small North Dakota town in 1964, indexer Marjorie Trumaine investigates the alleged suicide of the local librarian, uncovering a web of secrets that puts her own life in jeopardy.

October 1964—Just months after freelance indexer Marjorie Trumaine helped solve a series of murders in Dickinson, North Dakota, she is faced with another death that pulls her into an unwanted investigation. Calla Eltmore, the local librarian, is found dead at work and everyone considers it suicide. But Marjorie can't believe that Calla would be capable of doing such a thing.

Marjorie's suspicions are further aroused when she notices something amiss at Calla's wake, but the police seem uninterested in her observations.

Despite pressing job commitments and the burden of caring for a husband in declining health, Marjorie sets out to uncover the truth. What she finds is a labyrinth of secrets—and threats from someone who will kill to keep these secrets hidden.
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
I'm listening to Chesapeake Blue and falling in love with the Quinns all over again.  I know after this, I"m going to want Sea Swept.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Summer Knight (Dresden Files #4) by James Butcher

HARRY DRESDEN -- WIZARD

Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment

Ever since his girlfriend left town to deal with her newly acquired taste for blood, Harry Dresden has been down and out in Chicago. He can't pay his rent. He's alienating his friends. He can't even recall the last time he took a shower.

The only professional wizard in the phone book has become a desperate man.

And just when it seems things can't get any worse, in saunters the Winter Queen of Faerie. She has an offer Harry can't refuse if he wants to free himself of the supernatural hold his faerie godmother has over him--and hopefully end his run of bad luck. All he has to do is find out who murdered the Summer Queen's right-hand man, the Summer Knight, and clear the Winter Queen's name.

It seems simple enough, but Harry knows better than to get caught in the middle of faerie politics. Until he finds out that the fate of the entire world rests on his solving this case. No pressure or anything...

Started to take a listen to Come Sundown this week and will do some more listening to it tonight
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
I was right--finished Chesapeake Blue and now I'm listening to Sea Swept again because I need more Quinns.

Found this on a humor site.  Very appropriate as I had been listening to music and found myself jumping from Chapter 2 to Chapter 19!

Quote:After an enthusiastic recommendation from my wife, I began listening to the audio-book version of a novel.

"I love it, but his writing style is so disjointed," I complained. "He refers to characters I don't know and introduces them a half hour later."

My wife was as confused as I was, but I soldiered on, disoriented by the jumpy story line. It wasn't until the end of the book that my dilemma was explained: I had my iPod set on "Shuffle."
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
(06-21-2017, 11:25 AM)Carole Wrote:
Quote:After an enthusiastic recommendation from my wife, I began listening to the audio-book version of a novel.

"I love it, but his writing style is so disjointed," I complained. "He refers to characters I don't know and introduces them a half hour later."

My wife was as confused as I was, but I soldiered on, disoriented by the jumpy story line. It wasn't until the end of the book that my dilemma was explained: I had my iPod set on "Shuffle."

And I bet he had to start all over again from the beginning.
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When she is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.

In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure’s converge.
I heard about this book when a podcast I was listening to had the author on for an interview. A true story about how she survived a brain aneurysm. Extremely interesting, especially for those of us who have always had a love affair with words...printed, spoken, etc.. What would it be like to lose them completely? Audible version is $26, BUT, if you buy the Kindle version at $14, you can add on the Audible version for another $4, so, $18 total instead of $26, which is a bargain!

A Stitch of Time: The Year a Brain Injury Changed My Language and Life

Lauren Marks was twenty-seven, touring a show in Scotland with her friends, when an aneurysm ruptured in her brain and left her fighting for her life. She woke up in a hospital soon after with serious deficiencies to her reading, speaking, and writing abilities, and an unfamiliar diagnosis: aphasia. This would be shocking news for anyone, but Lauren was a voracious reader, an actress, director, and dramaturg, and at the time of the event, pursuing her PhD. At any other period of her life, this diagnosis would have been a devastating blow. But she woke up...different. The way she perceived her environment and herself had profoundly changed, her entire identity seemed crafted around a language she could no longer access. She returned to her childhood home to recover, grappling with a muted inner monologue and fractured sense of self.

Soon after, Lauren began a journal, to chronicle her year following the rupture. A Stitch of Time is the remarkable result, an Oliver Sacks–like case study of a brain slowly piecing itself back together, featuring clinical research about aphasia and linguistics, interwoven with Lauren’s personal narrative and actual journal entries that marked her progress. Alternating between fascination and frustration, she relearns and re-experiences many of the things we take for granted—reading a book, understanding idioms, even sharing a “first kiss”—and begins to reconcile “The Girl I Used to Be” with “The Girl I Am Now.” Deeply personal and powerful, A Stitch of Time is an unforgettable journey of self-discovery, resilience, and hope.
AJ

[Image: aidanturnerwindow.jpg]
(06-24-2017, 01:43 PM)AJ Wrote: Audible version is $26, BUT, if you buy the Kindle version at $14, you can add on the Audible version for another $4, so, $18 total instead of $26, which is a bargain!

If you borrow the book from the library in Kindle version, you can then get the Audible version for the $4 because Kindle thinks you "own" the book.  Sneaky, I know.
Playing Gods: Isolation by Chris and Karen Rohan

Xriah and Vylis, two avatars, both empowered with differing superhuman abilities, are repeatedly thrust into wildly varying worlds to do battle on behalf of their respective deities. Though the nature of their deities is shrouded in mystery, both avatars' faith in their purpose is strong and unwavering.

On each successive world they seek one another out, and then it is a battle to the death, despite the fact that both the defeated and victor alike are reborn and plunged into yet another world, to begin the fight all over again.

And as they continue their endless battle the real victims are the inhabitants of the avatars' battlefields.

The avatar Vylis feels nothing but the joy of the game, the sport of defying expectations, and exploiting the true weakness of his nemesis avatar, namely: that Xriah has come to care for the unfortunate denizens of the worlds upon which this world-crushing game is played.

Note: this is a GraphicAudio exclusive title, you won't find any book versions for it, so if any of you are interested in this story you can purchase it here: http://www.graphicaudio.net/playing-gods...ation.html