Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you listening to? (Audiobooks)
But getting back into the story, I think the second book might be better but the male character in this book is a bit of a prick. He's got it convinced in his traumatized head, that everybody taking legal drugs is an addict and the female character is prone to severe panic attacks but it took him nearly a month to even remotely hear her explanation. But he mostly blames his attitude on his former fiancee who was an addict and his father went to jail for drug related charges.

From my POV, this is a guy I don't wanna hang out with because I'm prone to butting heads with people like him.
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
Guilt by Association by Marsha Clark (#1 in the series)

It's suppose to be a police procedural from an assistant disrict attorney's point of view. Which is something the author should know very well. I am having trouble buying the level of involvement this ADA has in so many seemingly divergent cases. It is suppose to be the first in a series. I probably won't look for any more.

I didn't know this was told from the first person point of view before I started it. Don't like all the I, I, I. This kind of narrative doesn't have much depth. January LaVoy is no Susan Erickson, but she was OK. Not her fault she had a very shallow story to narrate.
"Hey...We're way over our heads here."  "Just the way I like it."  Eve & Roarke, Judgement In Death
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

Two sisters, who happen to be princesses, the God King one of them has to marry, the lesser god who doesn't like his job, and the immortal who's still trying to undo the mistakes he made hundreds of years ago.

Their world is one in which those who die in glory return as gods to live confined to a pantheon in Hallandren's capital city and where a power known as BioChromatic magic is based on an essence known as breath that can only be collected one unit at a time from individual people.

By using breath and drawing upon the color in everyday objects, all manner of miracles and mischief can be accomplished. It will take considerable quantities of each to resolve all the challenges facing Vivenna and Siri, princesses of Idris; Susebron the God King; Lightsong, reluctant god of bravery, and mysterious Vasher, the Warbreaker.
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
Widdershins 1: Thief's Covenant

Once she was Adrienne Satti. An orphan of Davillon, she had somehow escaped destitution and climbed to the ranks of the city's aristocracy in a rags-to-riches story straight from an ancient fairy tale. Until one horrid night, when a conspiracy of forces--human and other--stole it all away in a flurry of blood and murder. Today she is Widdershins, a thief making her way through Davillon's underbelly with a sharp blade, a sharper wit, and the mystical aid of Olgun, a foreign god with no other worshippers but Widdershins herself. It's not a great life, certainly nothing compared to the one she once had, but it's hers.

But now, in the midst of Davillon's political turmoil, an array of hands are once again rising up against her, prepared to tear down all that she's built. The City Guard wants her in prison. Members of her own Guild want her dead. And something horrid, something dark, something ancient is reaching out for her, a past that refuses to let her go.

Widdershins and Olgun are going to find answers, and justice, for what happened to her--but only if those who almost destroyed her in those years gone by don't finish the job first.
So overnight, I stayed at a hotel to get away from the hurricane last night and took an opportunity to listen to a new audiobook I bought called:

The Legend of Belladonna: Natural Born Outlaws by AE Stanton

She is known by many names; Deadly Nightshade, The Devil’s Daughter, Belladonna. Taken in as a girl by the legendary outlaws known as the Wolf Pack, Annabelle Stark becomes a woman to be reckoned with and a legend in her own right. When her husband Joshua is gunned down in cold blood by former friends, Belle and the Wolf Pack hit the trail in search of their own brand of justice.

Along the way, they enlist the help of some unlikely allies; U.S. Marshal Ben Davidson and Deputy Marshal Zeke Warren. But much to their dismay, the trail of revenge takes them closer and closer to the criminal mastermind, Vasquez. According to legend, Belladonna cannot be killed. Will the legend prove false?
Glass Houses by Louise Penny (Chief Inspector Gamache #13)

When a mysterious figure appears in Three Pines one cold November day, Armand Gamache and the rest of the villagers are at first curious. Then wary. Through rain and sleet, the figure stands unmoving, staring ahead.

From the moment its shadow falls over the village, Gamache, now Chief Superintendent of the Sûreté du Québec, suspects the creature has deep roots and a dark purpose. Yet he does nothing. What can he do? Only watch and wait. And hope his mounting fears are not realized.

But when the figure vanishes overnight and a body is discovered, it falls to Gamache to discover if a debt has been paid or levied.
Months later, on a steamy July day as the trial for the accused begins in Montréal, Chief Superintendent Gamache continues to struggle with actions he set in motion that bitter November, from which there is no going back. More than the accused is on trial. Gamache's own conscience is standing in judgment.

In Glass Houses, her latest utterly gripping audiobook, number-one New York Times bestselling author Louise Penny shatters the conventions of the crime novel to explore what Gandhi called the court of conscience. A court that supersedes all others.