Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Discussion #1 - Naked in Death
Smile 
So, I thought what I would do is start discussion threads for the books one by one starting with "Naked in Death."

You can really discuss anything about the book, but here's a question to start things off:

In "Naked..." Roarke breaks into Eve's apartment. Did he cross a line?  
AJ

[Image: aidanturnerwindow.jpg]
Obviously, in his mind, no lines were crossed. He owns the building and he wanted to see Eve. To Eve? Roarke will definitely require some getting used to!
(06-10-2017, 03:48 PM)pwazz1 Wrote: Obviously,  in his mind, no lines were crossed. He owns the building and he wanted to see Eve. To Eve? Roarke will definitely require some getting used to!

She was way more cool with it than I would have been.

Also, at the time the books were written, that kind of alpha-male type of behavior was more common in novels. Not so much anymore. I do wonder how Nora would have handled it had she written it today.
AJ

I felt that Roarke had crossed a line - very presumptuous of him to think that Eve was okay with him doing a B & E!

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

(06-10-2017, 04:31 PM)AJ Wrote:
(06-10-2017, 03:48 PM)pwazz1 Wrote: Obviously,  in his mind, no lines were crossed. He owns the building and he wanted to see Eve. To Eve? Roarke will definitely require some getting used to!

She was way more cool with it than I would have been.

Also, at the time the books were written, that kind of alpha-male type of behavior was more common in novels. Not so much anymore. I do wonder how Nora would have handled it had she written it today.

If Nora ever runs another Facebook live, have either you or me ask her that. Hell there's a good question, I wonder if she'd ever consider doing up-to-date versions of the first ten books at least. Update the content with the existing technology, while at the same time fixing the YANNI's in the past novels.

Personally, yeah he did screw up by breaking into Eve's apartment without permission, he should've at least told the front desk that he was interested in seeing her. But that's how I would've handled it at least.
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
I think it has more to do with Roarke as he was at the time.  We all know how much Eve has changed, but Roarke has changed also.  As Eve says, "I married a bloody criminal."  Roarke didn't think twice about that kind of thing before Eve.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
(06-11-2017, 02:43 PM)Carole Wrote: I think it has more to do with Roarke as he was at the time.  We all know how much Eve has changed, but Roarke has changed also.  As Eve says, "I married a bloody criminal."  Roarke didn't think twice about that kind of thing before Eve.

That's a good point. He didn't seem very good with other people's personal boundaries at that point, and yes, a lot of that can be attributed to his upbringing and his career as a criminal. Of course, Eve schooled him on that pretty quick.

AJ
AJ

It definitely was reflective of both the times and the character of Roarke when we met him. I don't think Nora will ever do a rewrite - why bother? - but I do think she would handle it differently if she wrote it today. Roarke was pretty hard to take in the first few books. Eve wasn't all that easy to take either. Oh, and Summerset was a complete jerk. I didn't start with Naked in Death and I wonder if I would have been drawn into the series if I had. I started with the second half of Remember When and both Eve and Roarke had mellowed considerably by then. Going back to read how they began I was more forgiving, as I was already hooked.
(06-12-2017, 02:08 AM)IDFAN Wrote: It definitely was reflective of both the times and the character of Roarke when we met him. I don't think Nora will ever do a rewrite - why bother? - but I do think she would handle it differently if she wrote it today. Roarke was pretty hard to take in the first few books. Eve wasn't all that easy to take either. Oh, and Summerset was a complete jerk. I didn't start with Naked in Death and I wonder if I would have been drawn into the series if I had. I started with the second half of Remember When and both Eve and Roarke had mellowed considerably by then. Going back to read how they began I was more forgiving, as I was already hooked.

Well in terms of a complete re-write, I wasn't exactly asking for one, my mind was basically going to how Stephen King did some edits and added more content to his first Dark Tower book. If something similar were to happen, maybe add more context to the night before the DeBlass case happened and what have you.

I've been thinking of buying my own copies of the first three books before Secrets comes out just so I can focus on the Eve and Roarke scenes and look at Larinda Mars' role in Glory.
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
Okay, here's another question. I think it was made pretty clear from the start that Roarke was not the killer. Should that have been made less obvious? Would that have made the whole story more suspenseful? Or was it better that Roarke was cleared right away?
AJ