Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Discussion #1 - Naked in Death
Good question AJ. The not knowing always intrigues me, but I didn't start the series with Naked.

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

I always thought it would have made it a bit more suspenseful, and that if they ever did a movie they should play that up a bit, BUT... at the heart of it is also a romance and a story about two people finding each other, so, I do understand why Nora wrote it the way she did.
AJ

[Image: aidanturnerwindow.jpg]
I never thought of Roarke as a serious suspect.  I actually find it a clumsy way for Eve to meet him.  I would have preferred that he be involved somehow in the investigation, as he is in later books, and then make him a suspect in a later murder, when it would be harder on Eve.

We've noted the similarities between InDeath and Castle.  Remember he wasn't really a suspect in the murders staged as in his books, but it wasn't until Season Five when he's seriously framed for murder, when Beckett has to weigh the very real evidence against what she knows of the man.  I think I would have liked to see Roarke and Eve that way too.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
(06-15-2017, 08:29 PM)AJ Wrote: Okay, here's another question. I think it was made pretty clear from the start that Roarke was not the killer. Should that have been made less obvious? Would that have made the whole story more suspenseful? Or was it better that Roarke was cleared right away?

You know what I think would've been interesting to see, that Senator DeBlass go on an anti-Roarke tirade about how Roarke was the one that killed Sharon. Probably would've made him more guilty for barking but I think it would've made for some interesting consequences.
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
(06-16-2017, 09:05 PM)ElectricOutcast Wrote:
(06-15-2017, 08:29 PM)AJ Wrote: Okay, here's another question. I think it was made pretty clear from the start that Roarke was not the killer. Should that have been made less obvious? Would that have made the whole story more suspenseful? Or was it better that Roarke was cleared right away?

You know what I think would've been interesting to see, that Senator DeBlass go on an anti-Roarke tirade about how Roarke was the one that killed Sharon. Probably would've made him more guilty for barking but I think it would've made for some interesting consequences.

He pretty much did. He didn't out and out accuse Roarke, but he did tell Eve that he knew she had been seeing Roarke and that "money buys immunity" so, I'm not sure how having him go on even more of a tirade would have changed the story significantly.

AJ
AJ

[Image: aidanturnerwindow.jpg]
(06-10-2017, 03:11 PM)AJ Wrote: So, I thought what I would do is start discussion threads for the books one by one starting with "Naked in Death."

You can really discuss anything about the book, but here's a question to start things off:

In "Naked..." Roarke breaks into Eve's apartment. Did he cross a line?  

Yeah, I think he did however considering he is a hot as sin billionaire who is the love interest I'm not sure how it would have turned out if Eve had of or had him arrested. Was she going to get a restraining order as well? How far would/could she have taken 'resisting him' while still ending up were she is today?
If Roarke were to be a serious suspect, we'd need an alternate possible interest for Eve since we all expected a romance.  Maybe in a movie, given the way plots are twisted from the book, Webster would have been around, still seeing Eve, a relationship from his POV and friends-with-benefits from hers.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
I started the series with Naked. I hadn't read any Nora at that time. JDR was recommended to me as a series with the husband/wife combo solving mysteries together. So I had known that they got together eventually and was not surprised to have Roarke be so pushy and interfering. I enjoy that, while they started out in book one as two people who wanted their own way in everything, they have evolved and grown personally and professionally. Naked ID was fascinating to me as a story where the characters spent so much of the story sitting in front of computers. It should have been dull, but never was. It was important to establish a great deal in what was suppose to be the first of three editions. JDR did it well. I was unfamiliar with Nora's trilogies and didn't know the history by 2004 when I started reading the ID's. Eve's history needed to be established too. So much in one package.
"Hey...We're way over our heads here."  "Just the way I like it."  Eve & Roarke, Judgement In Death
I agree. Reading the first 3 books opens many doors to most of the characters, their personalities and the connections between them.

Age and treachery will
Overcome youth and skill.
:-P
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 9
Views: 1,394
07-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Last Postjen.terpstra