Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your First Impressions of the Characters
Question 
I remember the first "In Death" book I read was "Witness," and, I will admit, my first impression was that Roarke was an ass. 

Of course, then I went and read the other books, and it didn't take long for me to see Roarke's appeal. 

So, I'm wondering what were your first impressions of the different characters when you read your first "In Death" Book, and did that change over time?
AJ

[Image: aidanturnerwindow.jpg]
I found Eve a bit too harsh at first, and I'm not sure that has changed.  She still really annoys me because she can be thoughtless and self-centered under the guise of caring more about the victims.  Seriously, Eve, get a grip.  So you have to go to fundraisers, dinners, cocktail parties.  Is that really so hard?   Yes, sometimes it means you can't work 24 hours a day on whatever case is current but overall, you should be resigned to it by now, if not happy about it.

I think the only other character who annoys me still is McNab. We've had glimpses of him being a grown-up but I'd like to see it more often.  The geek-as-eternal-teenager persona gets old.  Both Roarke and Feeney manage to geek without being Peter Pan about it.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
In terms of Eve and Roarke, my impressions were pretty complicated but I liked them anyway and what have you. I initially didn't have a problem with Mavis, Peabody or McNab but eventually they got on my nerves to the point where sometimes I'll scream at the audiobook to get them to shut up or sometimes I'll make a snarkier remark at them even though they can't hear me.

I think I'm starting to get crazy.
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
(06-12-2017, 03:42 PM)Carole Wrote: I found Eve a bit too harsh at first, and I'm not sure that has changed.  She still really annoys me because she can be thoughtless and self-centered under the guise of caring more about the victims.  Seriously, Eve, get a grip.  So you have to go to fundraisers, dinners, cocktail parties.  Is that really so hard?   Yes, sometimes it means you can't work 24 hours a day on whatever case is current but overall, you should be resigned to it by now, if not happy about it.

I'll be honest with you....if it were me, I would probably act just like Eve. I really hate socializing. Even more, I hate dressing up. I can do it if pushed, and I can have a good time, but I find myself more often than not wishing I was back home again. The curse of being an introvert, I suppose. I don't think that being an introvert is Eve's problem, but I can relate. Maybe this is why Eve never really annoyed me. I got her.
AJ

[Image: aidanturnerwindow.jpg]
Yes, I'd hate having to dress up and go out as often as Eve seems to, but once in a while it's not bad. But look at Eve's specific situation. She's married to a good guy who adores her, puts up with her workaholic ways, helps with her work at the expense of his own and really seems to give a lot more than she does, day to day. So I find her near-constant bitching about having to do something for him very irritating. Grow up a little, Eve, marriage is not 50/50. Both parties have to be willing to give 100%.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
I was not sure about Roarke at first, seemed too perfect. However, when he gave Eve the coffee he had me!! I always liked that he knew what that gift would mean to her. I always thought Summerset was kind of mean but as the books went on, I came to appreciate the relationship he has with not only Roarke but Eve as well. :)
"It's hard to resist a bad boy who's a good man. They'll knock the legs right out from under you." - Mrs G. to Parker in "Happy Ever After" by Nora Roberts.
(06-13-2017, 03:06 PM)Rabb Wrote: I was not sure about Roarke at first, seemed too perfect. However, when he gave Eve the coffee he had me!! I always liked that he knew what that gift would mean to her. I always thought Summerset was kind of mean but as the books went on, I came to appreciate the relationship he has with not only Roarke but Eve as well. :)

I agree with the Roarke part, matter of fact, I list him as one of my top manliest characters that I've ever dealt with in terms of any fiction (movies, video games, etc.)

In terms of Summerset, I agree that he and Eve have improved but I wish Eve would just drop the snark remarks from their relationship and have just a more normal relationship. Or least as normal as they make it.
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks