Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Discussion #2 - Glory in Death
The next book up for discussion is "Glory in Death." Here is a talking point, but feel free to comment about anything having to do with this book.

Though some say that Summerset liked Eve from the beginning, and just pretends to not like her, in "Glory," we see some of his true feelings about Eve when C.J. Morse calls Eve and lures her out by holding Nadine hostage. When Roarke comes home, he asks Summerset where Eve was. 

Quote:"She's Gone." 

"What do you mean she's gone? Gone where?

Because discussing the woman always put Summerset's back up, he lifted his shoulders. "I couldn't say, she simply ran out of the house, got into her vehicle, and drove off."

Later on in the series, Eve theorizes that Summerset dislikes her because she's not Marlena, and that's who Summerset really wanted Roarke to be with. However, if that were the only reason, he would have acted that way about any woman Roarke dated. So, it's a mix of things, maybe? Her lack of sophistication? Her being a cop?

What do you think about why Summerset had an instant dislike of Eve?
AJ

[Image: aidanturnerwindow.jpg]
The relationship between Eve and Summerset and Roarke's complete hands-off attitude has always bothered me. IMO, Summerset's issues are: She's a COP; she's rude crude and socially unacceptable; she has no interest/apptitude in being the social princess he believes Roarke's position demands.

Roarke seems to ignore Summerset's attitude and how much it affects Eve. He gets mad that she won't stay at the house when he's not there even though he knows it's partially (primarily?) because of Summerset's actions toward her. But he doesn't think it's important to explain to her why Summerset dislikes her, nor does he feel it necessary to tell Summerset to knock it off (a more egregious offense IMO).

Yet, Summerset does eventually admit that she loves Roarke for who he is and not for what he has, and that she is right for him.
(06-20-2017, 01:46 PM)Debbi Wrote: Roarke seems to ignore Summerset's attitude and how much it affects Eve. He gets mad that she won't stay at the house when he's not there even though he knows it's partially (primarily?) because of Summerset's actions toward her. But he doesn't think it's important to explain to her why Summerset dislikes her, nor does he feel it necessary to tell Summerset to knock it off (a more egregious offense IMO).

I don't know about you, but I also wish Roarke had put his foot down on Summerset a little more during the course of Survivor, I think the rhetoric between Cop and Butler went a little too far even for their standards. (This is in reference to them arguing about Nixie).

I am looking forward to how this book will play out in Secrets, maybe we might get old characters back or new ones that we haven't heard before.
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
Eve being a cop and not very sophisticated are the main reasons (in my opinion) why Summerset disliked Eve. Summerset is very protective of Roarke and rightly so because he did have a hand in raising him. Summerset didn't have good experiences with cops, and it seems that he felt like all cops are the same.

"The greatness of a nation can be determined by the way its animals are treated" - Mahatma Gandhi

I think the relationship between Eve and Summerset at first is the classic mother-in-law syndrome.  No woman is good enough for his boy, and especially not this one because she's not polished, no social grace, has a nasty mouth and oh yeah, the cop thing.  Roarke doesn't intercede for the same reason a lot of men don't--he loves them both and doesn't want to hurt either of them.  As with many mothers-in-law, Summerset eventually thaws as he gets to know Eve and her good points but mainly because he can see that she adores his Roarke.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Still Glory in Death but switching subjects.  Eve turns back before she reaches the door, which Roarke has locked.  What do you think her reaction would have been if she had tried to open the locked door?  Was she close enough to admitting she loves him that it wouldn't have mattered, or would it have pushed her over the edge in the other direction, feeling trapped both physically and emotionally, and have her backing off from him?
(06-29-2017, 12:21 PM)Carole Wrote: Still Glory in Death but switching subjects.  Eve turns back before she reaches the door, which Roarke has locked.  What do you think her reaction would have been if she had tried to open the locked door?  Was she close enough to admitting she loves him that it wouldn't have mattered, or would it have pushed her over the edge in the other direction, feeling trapped both physically and emotionally, and have her backing off from him?

That's a great question, Carole.  I've actually often wondered about it.  I think it would have pissed her off, but in the end it would have been ok.  I think she was at the point she needed to admit it to herself and to him.
(06-21-2017, 11:17 AM)Carole Wrote: I think the relationship between Eve and Summerset at first is the classic mother-in-law syndrome.  No woman is good enough for his boy, and especially not this one because she's not polished, no social grace, has a nasty mouth and oh yeah, the cop thing.  Roarke doesn't intercede for the same reason a lot of men don't--he loves them both and doesn't want to hurt either of them.  As with many mothers-in-law, Summerset eventually thaws as he gets to know Eve and her good points but mainly because he can see that she adores his Roarke.

Totally Agree!
Welcome, Gerri!  And not just because you agreed with me.  Big Grin
The scene that AJ mentioned in the beginning of the thread has always bothered me, and caused me to take a long time to warm up to Summerset afterwards.

His attitude toward Eve in Naked didn't bother me much. It was obvious he was a snob, and she wasn't good enough. But the scene in Glory, showed me that he didn't care at all what happened to her, and probably figured "good riddance". He could have told Roarke right away that Eve had left, and didn't. And when Roarke flat out asked him about Eve, he gave him attitude. Total dick behavior right there.

It's always baffled me that some people feel like Summerset has "always" liked Eve on some level. That's clearly not the case. I think they have a comfortable, if antagonistic relationship NOW, but it hasn't always been the case.

There were definitely a few times I wish Roarke would have put his foot down with Summerset. There are several times he's crossed a line, and that's not okay.

As for the second question, I think Eve would have gone through with it. Maybe even have been relieved that he did it. I dunno. I haven't given it much thought. LOL.
"Patience isn't my strongest suit." -Wolverine
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
  /  
Last Post
Replies: 18
Views: 2,608
09-22-2017, 08:29 PM
Last PostCarol aka Sassy