Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Cooking? (recipes, foodie news, etc.)
I enjoyed the recipe sharing in the old forum, so I thought I'd try starting it up again.

I love fried pickles, but as Mary Haymaker of Chattavore says, sometimes frying is a mess.  She came up with this recipe for oven fried pickles which I must try soon.

Oven Fried Pickles

olive oil spray or cooking spray
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 -3/4 cup panko crumbs
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 cup dill pickle chips, well-drained
dipping sauce, for serving

Preheat the oven to 450. Spray a sheet pan (I use a quarter sheet pan) with cooking spray or olive oil spray (I use olive oil in my Misto).
Place the flour, eggs, and panko crumbs in separate bowls. Divide the salt among the bowls then divide the cayenne pepper and the black pepper among the flour and the panko crumbs. Stir each bowl to combine.

Dredge the pickle chips in the flour, then the eggs, then the panko. Place the breaded pickles on the prepared sheet pan and spray with olive oil spray or cooking spray.

Bake the pickles for 8 minutes, then flip each pickle and bake for another 7-8 minutes, until crisp and brown.

Serve while hot with desired dipping sauce.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
I love this thread. I have a recipe for a really easy dessert that is usually a hit as long as no one is allergic to the peanut butter in it.

It is called "Buckeye Cheeseball"

4 oz cream cheese
1/2 c peanut butter, creamy
1/8 c milk
1 c confectioners' sugar
8 oz cool whip
12 oz mini chocolate chips
graham cracker sticks

Cream cream cheese, peanut butter and milk together until smooth.
Add in confectioners' sugar and blend until smooth.
Fold in Cool Whip and mini chocolate chips. For best consistency let set in refrigerator 2 hours before serving, but can be enjoyed immediately.
Serve with Graham Crackers!

I also serve it with Vanilla Wafers.
"It's hard to resist a bad boy who's a good man. They'll knock the legs right out from under you." - Mrs G. to Parker in "Happy Ever After" by Nora Roberts.
I had the best chicken salad for lunch, and I say that even though I made it myself.  I think the secret is the mirepoix, which is finely chopped onions, carrots and celery.  The classic recipe for it says it is slow-simmered but not browned, but mine was raw and I think that's the key, raw, crunchy, fresh veggies.  Got it from the supermarket, in the cold case in the produce aisle.  Anyway, here's my recipe.

My New Favorite Chicken Salad

• finely chopped or ground cooked chicken breast (I poach chicken, let it cool, then grind it with the metal blades of the food processor.  You can also buy a rotisserie chicken, or use leftover chicken, or grilled chicken.  I like to grind it because it makes a paste and that stretches your number of servings, just as ground beef serves more people).
  • mirepoix (seriously, just buy it, most supermarkets have it, so does Trader Joe's.)
  • dried sweetened cranberries
  • chopped pecans
  • Trader Joe's Onion Salt (this is more onion than salt, unlike the brands that mix onion powder into salt.  If you don't have this, use some kind of all-purpose seasoning, like Montreal Chicken or Mrs. Dash)
  • mayonnaise

I'm not giving quantities cause it depends on how much chicken you've got, how much salad you want, etc.  Just put your chicken in a large bowl as you will need room for mixing.  Add the mirepoix and mix it up.  Toss in the cranberries and the pecans, and mix again.  Give it two or three good shakes of TJ's Onion Salt or other seasoning and mix it up again.  Now start adding your mayo. You need enough to bind it together, and if you aren't crazy about mayo, stop there (as I do) or if you love mayo, add as much as you want.

Taste it now and you'll see how good it is.  Refrigerate it until using and it will be just as good.  Mine sat in the fridge for 24 hours and it still fabulous.  No, the veggies didn't go soggy and no, it wasn't salty from the onion salt.  

I'm in love with Trader Joe's Onion Salt.  Their description of it is "granulated onion, granulated garlic, minced onion, kosher salt, green onion and dried chives. So there really is more onion than salt and it's great in this salad, on scrambled eggs, a burger, anything you might like with onions or with salt.

This salad will definitely be my contribution to the next bbq or potluck because it totally looks and tastes like I bought it at a gourmet shop. (or is that shoppe?)  It's that good.
Well I learned something new today. I had to google mirepoix. I'd never hear of it. I did not know that it's the same as soffrito, which I did know about. Thanks for my word of the day, Carole!
One lady I follow on YouTube, made a cheesecake dip recipe that I'm half tempted to try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD7D4wZgjDw
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
(07-24-2017, 08:19 PM)Debbi Wrote: Well I learned something new today.  I had to google mirepoix.  I'd never hear of it.  I did not know that it's the same as soffrito, which I did know about.  Thanks for my word of the day, Carole!

And soffrito is my word of the day!  I'm not big on tomatoes, probably why I never heard of that one.
(06-30-2017, 11:38 AM)Carole Wrote: I enjoyed the recipe sharing in the old forum, so I thought I'd try starting it up again.

I love fried pickles, but as Mary Haymaker of Chattavore says, sometimes frying is a mess.  She came up with this recipe for oven fried pickles which I must try soon.

Oven Fried Pickles

olive oil spray or cooking spray
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 -3/4 cup panko crumbs
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 cup dill pickle chips, well-drained
dipping sauce, for serving

Preheat the oven to 450. Spray a sheet pan (I use a quarter sheet pan) with cooking spray or olive oil spray (I use olive oil in my Misto).
Place the flour, eggs, and panko crumbs in separate bowls. Divide the salt among the bowls then divide the cayenne pepper and the black pepper among the flour and the panko crumbs. Stir each bowl to combine.

Dredge the pickle chips in the flour, then the eggs, then the panko. Place the breaded pickles on the prepared sheet pan and spray with olive oil spray or cooking spray.

Bake the pickles for 8 minutes, then flip each pickle and bake for another 7-8 minutes, until crisp and brown.

Serve while hot with desired dipping sauce.

This sounds delicious Rabb. I'm going to have to try this asap.