Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Year One (New Trilogy)
So we're about two months away from Secrets and five months away from this new, and to Nora standards, a radically different trilogy coming up. Some of you were comparing this to it potentially being similar to Hunger Games, but keep in mind that the Hunger Games was just a clone of Battle Royale by Takami Koushun. Personally I think this has the potential to be compared to Fist of the North Star, Wicked City and Vampire Hunter D along with being compared to Harry Potter, Deathlands, and The Survivalist. But I am curious, what books or movies brought you to mind when you read this plot summary?

https://www.amazon.com/Year-One-Chronicles-Nora-Roberts-ebook/dp/B06X6G8FKH

A stunning new novel from the #1 New York Times bestselling author—an epic of hope and horror, chaos and magic, and a journey that will unite a desperate group of people to fight the battle of their lives…

It began on New Year’s Eve.
The sickness came on suddenly, and spread quickly. The fear spread even faster. Within weeks, everything people counted on began to fail them. The electrical grid sputtered; law and government collapsed—and more than half of the world’s population was decimated.
Where there had been order, there was now chaos. And as the power of science and technology receded, magic rose up in its place. Some of it is good, like the witchcraft worked by Lana Bingham, practicing in the loft apartment she shares with her lover, Max. Some of it is unimaginably evil, and it can lurk anywhere, around a corner, in fetid tunnels beneath the river—or in the ones you know and love the most.
As word spreads that neither the immune nor the gifted are safe from the authorities who patrol the ravaged streets, and with nothing left to count on but each other, Lana and Max make their way out of a wrecked New York City. At the same time, other travelers are heading west too, into a new frontier. Chuck, a tech genius trying to hack his way through a world gone offline. Arlys, a journalist who has lost her audience but uses pen and paper to record the truth. Fred, her young colleague, possessed of burgeoning abilities and an optimism that seems out of place in this bleak landscape. And Rachel and Jonah, a resourceful doctor and a paramedic who fend off despair with their determination to keep a young mother and three infants in their care alive.
In a world of survivors where every stranger encountered could be either a savage or a savior, none of them knows exactly where they are heading, or why. But a purpose awaits them that will shape their lives and the lives of all those who remain.
The end has come. The beginning comes next.
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
This did not remind me of the Hunger Games but it sure reminded me of The Stand by Stephen King.  I am really looking forward to seeing what Nora does with the story line.

I was a bit surprised that it is in hardcover.  I do not remember her trilogies being released in hardcover only, it is a bit costly than if it had been a paperback version.  Have any of the other trilogies ever come out first in just a hardcover?  I have it pre-ordered anyway but it did surprise me to see the cost.
"It's hard to resist a bad boy who's a good man. They'll knock the legs right out from under you." - Mrs G. to Parker in "Happy Ever After" by Nora Roberts.
I'm on the fence with this one as I do not usually like reading novels (or even trilogies) with dystopian settings. Secondly I personally think there are too many characters in the book. I don't know about you but with work, household, family and all my attention span has diminished radically over the years. :(
Oh well, I will have a look at the spoilers once the first book is out and decide then if I want to read it or not.
The first chapter is out on the blog

http://fallintothestory.com/year-one-excerpt/
I just got an email from Goodreads that I won a free copy of Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1)!!!!! I am so excited. It is suppose to take 4-6 weeks to get it but that is much earlier than the release date of Dec. 5th.

Did anyone else win a copy?
"It's hard to resist a bad boy who's a good man. They'll knock the legs right out from under you." - Mrs G. to Parker in "Happy Ever After" by Nora Roberts.
(09-16-2017, 02:33 PM)Rabb Wrote: I just got an email from Goodreads that I won a free copy of Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1)!!!!! I am so excited. It is suppose to take 4-6 weeks to get it but that is much earlier than the release date of Dec. 5th.

I didn't know a contest even happened
The Greatest Conflicts are Not Between Two People, But Between One Person and Himself.- Garth Brooks
(09-16-2017, 02:33 PM)Rabb Wrote: I just got an email from Goodreads that I won a free copy of Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1)!!!!!  I am so excited.  It is suppose to take 4-6 weeks to get it but that is much earlier than the release date of Dec. 5th.

Yay you! [Image: studsmatta.gif]
Good for you! Congrats Rabb!